Sunday, October 19, 2014

Abandon

This decision has been months in the making. Should I rent out the spare bedroom in my house or not? All my kids are out of the house (although two are away at college and will probably come back before they launch permanently). I've got one completely empty room. What about renting it out, I started pondering sometime this summer. The extra rent would come in handy, and maybe I can help somebody out for a while with a cheap place to live. JoJo left for college in August and this decision has been plaguing me. I even have someone in mind. A young lady who I work with, soon to be single mom, who just can't afford rent here in Modesto. When the rubber started getting closer to the road, I found that there were some roadblocks I had not earlier considered, my dogs for one. This one could be worked around, but my privacy, well that's another story. I wasn't keenly aware of this particular issue until I had a dream that this young lady came over to my house (where she has not been before, or even knows where I live) and I knew she was going to ask me if she could rent my extra room. As she approached I became aware that I was naked (sorry for the mental image, but these are the facts, hehe). Well, I had to apologize profusely for this very embarrassing state I was in, and suddenly I had clothes on again. A couple friends alerted me to the thought that I might be concerned about being in a vulnerable and completely exposed position allowing someone to share my home with me. Huh, maybe so, this further muddied the waters about my decision. Now I had to contend with the idea that maybe God was behind this idea and was I going to be obedient to His leading?

This morning I woke early and wrestled with God about either spending time with Him or going back to sleep. He won this round, and I am so very grateful He did. He impressed upon me that time with Him would prove to be more of a blessing than more sleep-and I could always take a nap later. He was right. As I looked into His word and the writings of a woman I admire, this decision that had been plaguing me was brought into complete clarity. "If God's Word takes a stand on an issue that you're facing, there's really no need to waste your time praying and fasting about it or seeking a personal word from God on the issue. You've already gotten His answer on the subject, and you need to just run with it." (Priscilla Shirer, Discerning the Voice of God) Two scriptures came to mind as I read this. The first in James, "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." And the second, "if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones who is my disciple, truly I tell you, that person will certainly not lose their reward." (Matt 10:42) Boom! God wants us to look out for those in need, He commands it. This is something I can do, something I believe He wants me to do.

Every year towards the end of the year I contemplate what has occurred over the past year, and look ahead to the following year. For the past few years, as I have done this, I have been impressed with a word for the year. Courage, Gratitude, and Joy have been my words for the last three years. The word that has been becoming clear to me for 2015 is Abandon. Whoa! What does that mean God? I don't know exactly, but possibly this decision to share my home might be part of it. Abandon my claim on My house as My own private sanctuary and allow someone else in? What else will the word Abandon play in my life next year? I don't know, but I'm up for the journey, because with God I know that not only are all things possible, but all things work for the good of those who love Him, for those who have been called according to His purpose. Excited about the possibilities. Father, may Your dreams become my dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment